the answer to this week's puzzler=cupholders

Work has been slow the last few days. Kathy had a proposal due Thursday, so she hasn't been available to give me feedback or direction. I'm in that limbo stage where I'm waiting for the go ahead for data clearance so I can start doing my analysis, but everyone around me is dragging their feet and has other irons in the fire. As a result, I'm obsessively checking craigslist for bikes and other free gear. I've have the opportunity to read more about NE bike culture, and I'm so overdue to getting out and riding. I'm not sure which will give first, my standards in bikes or my wallet.

I split town yesterday for Philadelphia to visit Tom and Kyle. I took the Chinatown bus, the lowball offer, and while it was a valuable experience (mostly in how to ride public transportation in a super dicey area and not having a clue what was going on), I may opt for the rail lines next time. I was the last one on the bus, and ended up in (of course) the worst seat on the bus. For the nonbusriders, this is on the bench seat closest to the bathroom. You know, the one that the woman is sleeping on, so one has to poke at her for a good half mile before she wakes up. She was nice enough about it, at least. Beyond the suboptimal placement, the ride was fine. Came away with some nice photos of Chinatown. Look for those soon.

Tom and Kyle live in a terrific part of Philly. Again, pictures to come. Tom met me at the station and we took a nice walk around the old town area of the city. Liberty bell, Independence Hall... dot dot dot. Whatever. This city is on my short list of ones I think I'd be happy in. The historic district has some really interesting examples in rezoned residential. Again, pictures to come. The city has a huge bike culture, it's young and creative. It's on its way up, and reminds me of Portland before indie rock found it. I'm excited about Emma coming to see it. I want to know what she thinks. Somewhere between Detroit, Milwaukee and Portland. OK, I need to not romanticize the place too much. AND The Next American City is based here. The boys live in a amazing space, too. The facebook pictures don't really give it justice. All of the things I like- track lighting, exposed brick, granite countertops, hardwood floors.

For most of you reading this, you can stop now. The whining will begin. now.

Visits to Tom and Kyle always make me think about my own quality of life. I know I'm one to lowball most things in my life, for the sake of cost. I'm a disposable goods person who treats things like they're not disposable. Many things, low quality. I recognize this about myself and want to change it. I've admired this about people in my life for a long time. I want to learn to spend on quality goods, but fewer of them. Simpler, maybe. It's true, I don't need much. Sometimes I catch glimpses of me being the person I want to be, but largely, I'm stuck in habits. Part of being in NY is sudden, rapid lifestyle changes- but this is counterintuitive here because I'm living short term and don't want to be bothered with duplication. I don't want to buy something I already have at home. Ugh. growing up is dumb. I'd feel better about all this if I were in a more stable financial situation. Grad school/upward trajectory is rough. Personal growth, here we come.

No comments: